The Cubs kick off their Arizona league schedule with a match up against potential AL favourite and Josh Hamilton’s new residence, LA Angels.
It’s going to be a tough outing, but also a chance to see future stars like Jorge Solar, Josh Vitters and Brett Jackson.
I’m disappointed that it’s not available on MLB.TV but there is the Blue Jays game on.
The Cubs will play 39 games this spring including one against a WBC team on March 15th. This also is the final year at HoHoKam field. The Cubs will start playing at Mesa next year.
The Angels and the Cubs are playing three times during Cactus League play. Travis Wood gets the call to the mound for todays game.
So, some of the things to watch for is
• Starlin Castro reducing his errors
• Where will Velbuena end up at?
• Can Darwin Barney continue with his Gold Glove season last year?
• Anthony Rizzo can turn into the Bat for the Cubs
• Do the Chicago Cubs call up Josh Vitters and Brett Jackson, keeping them in the lineup?
• What about Jorge Solar?
Game Note: Ian Stewart will undergo an MRI after an injury due to a mild strain. Results are expected Saturday.
Every Cubs fan knows this is a rebuilding year, but we do expect to see their stars of the future shine this year. It all begins today.
Ian Stewart is out for 10-14 days with a mild quad strain. At least he’ll be ready for opening day.